Animal diseases can be spread by dirty or shared vehicles, equipment, and machinery. Have a plan to limit where these
items travel on your farm. Make sure to clean them prior to use around your animals.
• Provide a parking area for personnel and visitors. The parking area should be located outside the LOS and away from animal areas.
• Limit entry of vehicles used for the removal of dead animals, manure, litter, and compost. These vehicles likely visit other farms and could carry disease. Storage and pick up of these waste materials should happen away from animal areas. These materials should be easy to access, without crossing the LOS. Manure or litter spreaders and other items kept on farm should be stored away from animal areas.
• Limit the sharing of animal transport vehicles (e.g., trailers). If shared, clean and disinfect them between uses.
• Dirty vehicle tires and wheel wells should be cleaned before crossing the LOS.
Equipment and Machinery
Farm-dedicated equipment and machinery is ideal. Limit the entry of items that are shared with other sites. Any shared items should be cleaned and disinfected before crossing the LOS.
• Heavy machinery such as tractors or skid loaders used in animal areas get dirty. When moved, they can spread germs on farm and to other farms. Clean and disinfect before moving to other animal areas.