Foreign Animal Disease Preparedness and Response (FAD PReP)
USDA FAD PReP Website
These documents are available on the USDA FAD PReP website.
USDA APHIS has developed the Foreign Animal Disease Preparedness and Response Plan (or FAD PReP) to raise awareness and to enhance the coordinated response to an animal disease outbreak. The FAD PReP includes Guidelines, Industry Manuals, Standard Operating Procedures and other resources. APHIS provided funding through a cooperative agreement to the Center for Food Security and Public Health to develop some of these resources. All of materials developed by the CFSPH were written by veterinarians, reviewed by designated subject matter experts within and external to USDA APHIS, illustrated by professional graphic designers, and posted on the FAD PReP Collaboration Website for broad review and comment. Once finalized, the content is reviewed and approved by the USDA Legislative and Public Affairs (LPA) for wider distribution.
FAD PReP/NAHEMS Guidelines
The FAD PReP/National Animal Health Emergency Response System (NAHEMS) Guidelines provide the foundation for a coordinated national, regional, state and local response in an animal health emergency. These guidelines are designed to be integrated into the preparedness plans of other Federal agencies, State and local agencies, Tribal Nations, and additional groups involved in animal health emergency management activities. Documents being developed or updated by CFSPH include:
- Appraisal and Compensation (draft)
- Biosecurity (2013) 103
- Cleaning and Disinfection (2011) 161
- Disposal (2012) 214
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Tracing (2011) 174
- Health and Safety (2011) 105
- Mass Depopulation and Euthanasia (2011) 109
- Personal Protective Equipment (2011) 104
- Quarantine and Movement Control (draft)
- Vaccination for Contagious Diseases (2011) 162
- - Appendix A: Vaccination for Foot-and-Mouth Disease (2011) 108
- - Appendix B: Vaccination for Classical Swine Fever (2012) 191
- - Appendix C: Vaccination for High Pathogenicity Avian Influenza (2011) 188
- Wildlife Management and Vector Control (draft)
Corresponding web-based training modules for completed Guidelines are available on the NAHERC Training Site (https://naherc.sws.iastate.edu).
FAD PReP Industry Manuals
The FAD PReP Industry Manuals provide a broad overview of U.S. production methods and the procedures that may be used in the event of a highly contagious FAD outbreak. The Manuals were developed for officials involved in managing a highly contagious FAD outbreak, response team members working to control disease on the farm, and producers and employees at production facilities. Manuals being created by CFSPH include: